How to Launch a Career in Application Security — CyberSpeak Podcast
On this episode of the CyberSpeak with InfoSec Institute podcast, Dan Cornell, chief technology officer at Denim Group, discusses his career journey and some of the steps you can take to begin a career in Application Security (AppSec).
In the podcast, Cornell and host Chris Sienko discuss:
- How did you get interested in application security as a career? (1:10)
- What were the major steps you took and skills you learned to become an authority in the field? (4:55)
- What are the day-to-day activities of an AppSec architect or creator? (11:30)
- Is there a great deal of fluidity in the job of AppSec? (17:05)
- What is the role of professional education in learning the roles of AppSec? (18:50)
- What sort of activities should you be interested in if you’re thinking of AppSec as a profession? (22:55)
- What types of companies or organizations require a specialist in AppSec? (28:20)
- What’s one thing someone listening can do today to get closer to the path of being an AppSec architect or designer? (31:10)
- How is a career in AppSec likely to change in the future? (36:15)
- Tell us about ThreatFix, Denim Group’s web application security platform. (40:05)
About Denim Group
Denim Group is the leading secure software development firm, serving as a trusted advisor to customers on matters of software risk and security. The company builds software for the most security conscious while helping organizations assess and mitigate risk within their existing software. Denim Group's flagship ThreadFix product accelerates the process of software vulnerability remediation, reflecting the company's rich understanding of what it takes to fix application vulnerabilities faster. Denim Group has emerged as a strong contributor to the larger application security community and has actively participated in the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) since shortly after its inception.
Among many other awards, Denim Group has landed on the "Inc. 5000" list - which recognizes the country's 5000 fastest-growing private companies - for five years in a row. In addition, the San Antonio Business Journal named Denim Group as one of the "Best Places to Work" in the city.
Denim Group is a registered service mark of Denim Group, Ltd.
Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.